Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving - Which Family?

So I was just sitting at home with my family and came up with a good blog idea. Holidays in a relationship, where are they spent?

I happen to have a very small family. My dad's parents moved down to Florida, we are still on Long Island in New York. His brother, my uncle moved down to Florida about 15 years ago, and passed away 5 years ago. My mom's mom is still on Long Island as well, but she splits the holidays between here and in North Carolina where my mom's sister, my aunt has lived for 5 years, after living in Florida for 10 years. My brother is a year older than me, 24, and lives upstate, New York. He comes home occasionally, when he is not working.

So, when I got a girlfriend 5 months ago, I thought Holidays would be a little busier. I was wrong. I guess the reason is because we are both away at college still, so when we are home, we try to spend time with the family. I invited my girlfriend over for Thanksgiving, but she was having it with her family. I wonder if this is normal, or what other couples do. I assume they usually either split Holidays by year, or for bigger holidays do one night at each family's. I really wish she was able to come over, but I understand the situation. She has come over for holidays before, she came here for the Jewish Holidays in September. It was very nice to have her here and be able to share it with her and my family, and to give them time to bond more with each other. It was also on a break from school, but one that was a little longer; also, she is not Jewish, so I guess  that's why it was easier.

Either way, I really wish I could spend the holiday with her, I miss her a lot. Hopefully I will get the invitation to her place for Christmas, and hopefully she will be able to spend a night or two here for Hanukkah.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting, topic Jared! I actually spent this Thanksgiving with my boyfriend. He is a day trader in Connecticut- away from family- and didn't get the time off to come home. I went there and cooked for him, then Friday after work we drove to spend the weekend with his extended family at their home in the mountains. It was nice, and I am glad he didn't have to spend the holidays alone, but I missed my family a lot, it definitely wasn't the same! I think it depends what stage of the relationship you are in, and if you're still in school or not. I don't think after dating for only 5 months and still being in school its usual to be spending holidays together, this was really the first time I've done it, and it was because he would be alone otherwise.

    ReplyDelete